Saturday, September 13, 2008

Can You See Your Goals?


One technique I've practiced and has helped immensely is a combination of goal setting and visualizations. An internet marketing guru named Mike Dillard said in his book to post the number $10,000 around your house, in your wallet, and wherever you can see on a daily basis. This is to represent what you will eventually spend per month on advertising. He says that eventually, you will become obsessed with this number and when you do, you will become uncomfortable with the fact that you are not spending that much on advertising. You will find ways to do so by growing your business to that point. This is similar to a technique described in Think and Grow Rich, where Napoleon Hill describes this as creating a burning desire for a monetary amount.

I started out with $10,000 like Mike suggested. I posted it on my white board right above my desk in my home office where I could see it regularly. I wrote it on my goal card that I keep in my wallet. Eventually, like they said, I dreamed of living a $10,000 a month lifestyle. I thought of $10,000 all the time. Within a matter of days (it may take longer for some) my mind became accostumed to it. Suddenly, small dollar amounts like $60, $200, and even $1,500 seemed like nothing to me as I beleived I was making $10,000 a month. I even began to have $10,000 ideas and the path to making that kind of money opened up for me. If I ever faced a tough decision, I asked myself, "What would I do if I were the person making $10,000 a month?" and the answers became very clear to me. I haven't made $10,000 a month yet, but I know it's only a matter of time (pretty soon actually). With this technique firmly in my back pocket, the path to untold wealth and achievement lay before me. Whenever I want to move to the next stage in my life, I simply have to write it out, focus on it, my subconcious will get the message, and just go on living my life. I will move up naturally (there will be some effort involved, read my blog "Why Headaches Are a Good Thing..."). A crucial step in this whole process is that you have to Believe that it's possible. If you fight the image with a negative feeling or feeling of disbelief whenever you reflect on your goal, the exercise it pointless. It's like ordering a Big Mac with Diet Pepsi so you'll feel good about yourself.

Many people end their lives not happy and full of regret. They didn't accomplish what they wanted to accomplish. But very often, they never set any firm goals with firm plans of achieving them. A goal without a plan is just a wish. Ambiguous goals return ambiguous results. You have to be VERY clear on what you want, and when you want to have it.

The technique outlined above goes for you as well when becoming the entrepreneur you want to be. Make a picture of the person you want to be and that person's surroundings. Write out what that peson has in their life on a daily basis. Put it where you can see it, focus on it, your subconcious will get the message, and you will attract it naturally.
You can start small, but you will see small results. Start big and you will see big results.


If you have big goals and you need a vehicle to take you there, visit: http://www.massivehomeincome.com/ From there, you can also subscribe to my free Entrepreneur newsletter, where I go into more depth on some of the principles I touch on in my blog. I chose the pic above because it reminded me of myself when I was young, lol. That's it for today...Have a Great Day, because you Deserve it!


Mitchell

3 comments:

dannielo said...

Great tips.

If you'd like a tool for setting your goals for your small business, you can try this application:

http://www.Gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, schedules and a calendar.
A mobile version and iCal are available too.

Hope you like it.

Corey Griggs said...

This theory reminds me somewhat of the popular film "the Secret" where the idea is to have a seemingly unachievable goal in mind and continually tell yourself that you are going to reach it. very interesting blog.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post and I could not agree more. Goal setting is extremely important but we must see out goals!